northeastern connecticut
council of governments
ashford • brooklyn • canterbury • chaplin • eastford • hampton • killingly • plainfield • pomfret • putnam • scotland • sterling • thompson • union • voluntown • woodstock

Animal Issues

Animal Complaints

NECCOG welcomes inquires and complaints regarding domestic animals. Please be ready to provide the following information:

  • exact location (street address, town)
  • animal’s description (size, color, breed, gender)
  • nature of the issue
  • address and description of the location and animal owner’s name (if known)One of our officers will investigate the issue. If no information is verified, the animal cannot be located, or further information deems the complaint to be unfounded, the complaint is closed. If the complaint is found to have merit, the officer will take the next necessary steps to move the issue forward. Records of all complaints are maintained by NECCOG and to the degree accessible in accordance with Connecticut’s Freedom of Information Act – are available for inspection and copy.

Anonymous complaints are permitted. To submit an animal issue or complaint, please complete the form.


Rabies is a deadly virus that infects animals and can be a risk to humans as well. Rabies vaccinations are the most important protection you can give your pet against the deadly disease. The most commonly reported rabid animals in Connecticut are wild (foxes, raccoons, skunks, and bats) – however, cats (especially feral cats), dogs and other domestic animals can and do contract rabies.

There is no cure for rabies. The rabies virus is spread through the infected animal’s saliva and can be transmitted through any open wound, nose or mouth. If bitten or scratched by a wild or stray animal or a pet, wash the wound immediately and thoroughly with soap and water. Soak the affected area for 10 minutes. Apply antiseptic.

If you believe you have had contact with a wild or unknown domestic animal – Immediately seek medical attention. For more information, please contact the Connecticut Department of Public Health at


Every dog must be licensed when it becomes six months old and then annually every June. No license may be issued unless a valid rabies certificate, signed by a licensed veterinarian and including the date of the vaccination and duration of immunity, is presented to the town clerk. Find the CT dog license application here:

Listed below are the towns that NECCOG serves. For information for your town clerk’s office, please click the appropriate town.

Surrendering Your Animal

Neccog Animal Services can take in Owner Surrenders if they pass our evaluation and are safe to adopt out. Neccog has an owner surrender fee of $45.00 per animal. If you are thinking about owner surrendering your animal , please make sure you have tried every avenue to try to keep your pet. If you are having behavioral issues, you can contact a trainer to work with you and your pet. If you are moving or life changes are happening, please try to call rescues, and or ask if there is a friend or family member that could possibly take the animal or help you out.

Neccog will not take in aggressive animals or animals that have a past of biting or attacking. If you have a aggressive animal you can no longer keep, please try rescues or talk to your veterinarian for options. Owner Surrendering your pet can be very stressful on the animal so please make sure you are trying every effort in your decision making. Listed below are some trainers and rescues


Kuhl – K9 Training 860-230-4402
Lazybones Dog Training 401-651-2576


Our Companions 860-242-9999
CT Human Society 860-594-4502
CT Human Society Newington 860-442-8583
Waterford Paws Cat Rescue 860-594-4502 / 860-480-1104
Kitty Harbor- 860-591-3074
Wings of Freedom 860-428-0807
Boomers Best Buddies-860-305-0603

Feral Cats

Feral cats exist in each of the towns in northeastern Connecticut. These cats are the primary source of the overpopulation of cats and are a major concern for the transmission of rabies to humans and other pets. Feral cats, which often live in large colonies, are essentially wild animals and are seldom candidates for adoption – the exception sometimes being kittens.

NECCOG strongly advises persons to not feed feral cats (which will encourage more cats to seek out the same food source) and to not have interactions with them as your potential exposure to rabies is heightened. If you encounter a feral cat colony, you are encouraged to contact your town’s First Selectman. The cat colony may be addressed under the NECCOG Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) program.

Listed below are the towns that NECCOG serves. For information for your town clerk’s office, please click the appropriate town.


NECCOG animal services ONLY address wildlife if they interact with domestic animals. Please contact the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.

Wildlife Division for all other wildlife issues at (860 424-3011).
Nutmeg Acres wildlife rehabilitator – (860-631-7252)
Barley and Poss wildlife Rescue – (860-204-1980)
Ravens Nest Rehabilitation – (860-608-5354) / (860-917-0876)

Animal Assistance

if you are need of assistance with medical bills for your animal, please contact Pet pals 860-317-1720

If you find a injured wild animal or a baby wild animal please call a wildlife rehabber there are 2 local Nutmeg Acres out of Moosup CT 860-631-7252 / Carley Palmer Preston CT 860-204-1980 / Ravens Nest 860-917-0876